Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
* Audio formats supported natively: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA, WMA.
* More audio formats supported through optional components, official or third-party.
* Full unicode support.
* Customizable user interface layout (new in version 0.9.5). View screenshots...
* Advanced tagging capabilities.
* Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component. Read more...
* ReplayGain support - both playback and calculation.
* Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
* Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
Download alternate foobar2000 solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to foobar2000 software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Sound & Audio category.
History updates (Complete changelogs since the listing on this site)
- Added basic MusicBrainz tagging capability to the audio CD ripper.
- CD ripper can now look up CD information automatically each time a new CD is about to be ripped.
- Worked-around shell integration incompatibility with Windows 8.
- Converter performance tweaks for multi-core encoding (beta 2).
- Resolved incompatibility with Matroska files processed with mkvclean (beta 2).
- ID3v2: “rating” tags now compatible with Windows Media Player (beta 2).
- Resolved Converter incompatibility with new Opus encoder (beta 2).
Other versions : 1.1.14 1.1.13 1.1.12 1.1.11 1.1.10 1.1.9 1.1.8 1.1.7 1.1.6 1.1.5 1.1.4 1.1.3 1.1.2 1.1.1 1.1 1.0.3 188.8.131.52 1.0.2 1.0.1 1.0 0.9.6.9 0.9.6.8 0.9.6.7 0.9.6.6 0.9.6.5 0.9.6.4 0.9.6.3 0.9.6.2
- Added support for the IETF Opus codec.
- Fixed ID3v2 regressions from version 1.1.12
- Fixed playback-getting-stuck bugs with fade-on-track-advance enabled.
- ID3v2 compliance changes: multiple TXXX allowed again, semicolon used for multiple genre separator.
- Changed ID3v2.3 TYER/TDAT handling, now merged into one DATE field formatted as YYYY-MM-DD.
- Fixed incorrect volume control behavior when cycling output methods.
- Fixed Musepack HTTP streaming bugs.
- Fixed incorrect MP3 decoder behavior on certain rare files.
- Fixed crash reporter dialog crash (duh).
- Detection of proxy server settings from Internet Explorer.
- Fixed multi-channel FLAC encoding (channel mask now gets preserved).
- Fixed multi-channel WavPack decoding (channel mask now gets preserved).
- Now possible to use HDCD & DTS decoder components with ALAC.
- Changed MP3 tag reading behaviors when multiple tags are present.
- ID3v2 content now takes priority over APE and then ID3v1.
- Various time-consuming operations such as conversion or ReplayGain-scanning now prevent the computer from automatically going to sleep (opt-out).
- Improved built-in crossfading functionality, new fading configuration in Preferences / Output.
- Fading functionality available with built-in DirectSound mode only.
- New .fb2k-component file type extension for foobar2000 component packages.
- Fixed some potential security issues.
- Added type-find in the default playlist view.
- Added support for album art in APEv2 tags on MP3 files.
- Fixed more WAV handling bugs.
- Converter update - now you can restrict specific encoder to run in one thread only.
- Experimental deadlock detection (beta 2)
- After long periods of apparent UI unresponsiveness, the application will automatically terminate and produce a crash report.
- Cleaned up advanced preferences for MP3 tagging (beta 2)
- “Force preferred tagging scheme” option gone - use the “MP3 tag types” dialog to convert between different tag types.
- Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) decoding support is now included out-of-the-box, using the newly published Apple library.
- Fixed WAV handling bugs introduced in 1.1.9.
- Added WAV file format tagging support.
- Implemented experimental support for 16-bit floating-point WAV files.
- Fixed ID3v2 handling bugs from 1.1.8.
- Worked-around a reported security problem with certain WAV files and buggy system codecs.
- Skip silence DSP improvements.
- Improved MP3 tag handling (ID3v2) compliance:
- More compliant WXXX parsing.
- More compliant ID3v2.4 date handling.
- Compressed 2.3 tags are now readable.
- Due to heavy structural changes relevant code, please watch out for MP3 tagging regressions.
- Ability to add/remove embedded pictures in media files - currently supports: MP3, MP4, FLAC, WMA, WavPack, Musepack and APE.
- Updated ReplayGain scanning code to the latest version of libebur128.
- Improved performance when playing very short tracks.
- Improved tag compatibility with other software.
- “Album artist” is mapped to ID3v2 TPE2 like in WMP/iTunes.
- Support for iTunes “itunescompilation” tags, in MP3/ID3v2 and MP4.
- ID3v2.3 tags are now written by default since version 2.4 seems to be widely ignored by software vendors.
- Added support for multi-value WMA tags.
- Read more about tagging changes
- Improved reading of MP3 encoding information headers written by alpha versions of LAME.
- ReplayGain scanner now uses libebur128 for improved accuracy.
- Fixed various 1.1.3 / 1.1.4 regressions.
- Added a menu item to check for new foobar2000 versions.
- Added a menu item to more easily check for updated components.
- Fixed regression: incorrect AAC decoder behaviors introduced in version 1.1.3.
- Fixed crashing on newest AMD processors.
- New foobar2000 application icon.
- foobar2000's volume slider is now synchronized with Windows Mixer application volume slider on Windows Vista and newer.
- Progress of various operations is now displayed on Windows 7 taskbar.
- Improved first run experience
- With standard (non-portable) installs, foobar2000 Media Library defaults to indexing your music folders indexed by Windows itself.
- HTTPS support in networking services
- This is mainly relevant to component developers. You can now access HTTPS URLs through filesystem and http_client services.
- Fixed a rare crash when closing the Preferences dialog in specific conditions.
- Improved compatibility with broken MP4 files.
- New component installation and automatic updating functionality.
- Optional components are now installed into user's profile folder, allowing different components installed for different users on one system.
- Entirely new Converter user interface.
- Reworked appearance of various Preferences pages and other utility dialogs.
- Improved ID3v2 tag writing standard compliance.
- Improved Matroska compliance.
- Fixed incorrect behaviors with both “cursor follows playback” and “playback follows cursor” enabled.
- Improved compatibility with dodgy ASX files written by Windows Media Player.
- Fixed notification area icon minimize bugs (again).
- Fixed problems with encoding very long audio streams to Vorbis.
- Fixed a very rare crash when using the Media Library preferences page.
- Various other maintenance updates and bug fixes.
- Worked-around a bug in Windows XP causing incorrect rendering of the Properties dialog in 1.0.2.
- Portable install: playlists now reference files by paths relative to the parent folder of the foobar2000 installation folder.
- Various bug fixes.
- Made Nero AAC encoder setup tag visible as “encoder”.
- Third party library updates (zlib and libvorbis).
- Undecodable tracks now get substituted with 1s of silence to prevent deadlocks with dodgy third-party components.
- Worked-around bug in Windows 7 with status bar repaint glitches.
- Windows Media streaming compatibility improvements.
- Fixed notification area icon being incorrectly shown in certain conditions.
- Audio format support updates: added support for decoding Wave64 and RF64 formats, added built-in support for writing Wave64 format.
- Added folder name wildcard matching for album art search.
- Added a workaround for horribly broken Asus Xonar drivers.
- New context menu structure - better out-of-the-box layout but less customizable.
- Built-in support for Windows Media and RTSP streaming.
- “Edit” menu operates on the currently selected object rather than always on the active playlist.
- Improved compatibility with multimedia keyboards.
- Improved, more customizable album art support.
- Portable installs now remember Media Library paths relatively to the install folder.
- Reworked Preferences: OK/Cancel/Apply buttons, new layout of standard pages.
- New options regarding selection viewer behavior.
- Default User Interface: new pseudo color code system for status bar and playlist view.
- CD ripping improvements:
- Results can be now checked against the AccurateRip database on-the-fly.
- CD-TEXT reading support.
- Ability to choose individual tracks to rip in the “Rip Audio CD” dialog.
Multiple stability/security fixes. Corrected various user interface glitches. “Help” button in Converter Setup dialog. ABX Comparator component no longer included with the installer - now available for download separately.
Fixed WavPack playback over HTTP. Fixed weird shell extension behaviors with the “folder context menus” option active. Fixed weird behaviors of the “stop after current” option. Worked-around problems with dodgy Ogg streams produced by speexenc.
Hotfix: fixed crash when seeking in files that can't be decoded completely. Hotfix: corrected weird behaviors after restart with playback paused and “resume playback after restart” active. Updated third-party component blacklist.
Matroska files are now taggable even if they don't contain decodable audio tracks. Worked-around “Open Containing Folder” command opening two windows on certain machines. Added support for Multimedia Class Scheduler Service on Windows Vista and newer. Various changes to make specific obscure crashes easier to analyze. Updated third-party component blacklist.
Online troubleshooter feature, accessible from the Help menu. Fixed: Album List was being compiled with all optimizations disabled until now, since at least 0.9.5, due to bugs in MSVC9. Various improvements to the crash report submission system. Fixed an obscure bug in the ABX component. Fixed a crash when trying to open a lossy WavPack3 file. Fixed a crash when decoding certain corrupted AAC files. Built-in album art viewer can now view artist pictures (embedded in tags and artist.jpg in the same folder).
Third party components can now register custom protocols with the File Types preferences page. Removed the restriction of just one instance of specific DSP in a DSP chain. Fixed incorrect handling of 3-channel and 5-channel FLAC and Vorbis files. Converter now accepts alternate names for some of command-line encoder binaries (mpcenc.exe, oggenc2.exe). Converter and File Operations components no longer strip trailing dots from names of created files. Improved compatibility with dodgy Windows shell replacements. Automated submission of crash reports.
Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities in AAC and Musepack decoders. Improved compatibility of Media Library with certain dodgy NAS devices. Media Library no longer ignores files/folders flagged as system. Improved shell integration behaviors when foobar2000 is taking very long to start.
Media Library is now aware of newly installed decoder components and will re-check your folders for files that could not be indexed before. New options to control tag fields searched by simple search queries, in Advanced Preferences. Various bug fixes and cosmetic changes.
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the foobar2000 1.1.16 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 1.2.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 2.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full foobar2000 description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(2.58MB, Extension: HTML)