Features This is a list of features in Audacity, the free audio editor. For more information on how to use these features, go to the help pages. Recording Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio.
- Record from microphone, line input, or other sources.
- Dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
- Record up to 16 channels at once (requires multi-channel hardware).
- Level meters can monitor volume levels before, during, and after recording.
Import and Export Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in several common file formats.
- Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) with libmad.
- Export MP3s with the optional LAME encoder library.
- Create WAV or AIFF files suitable for burning to CD.
- Import and export all file formats supported by libsndfile.
- Open raw (headerless) audio files using the “Import Raw” command.
- Note: Audacity does not currently support WMA, AAC, or most other proprietary or restricted file formats.
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete.
- Use unlimited Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps.
- Very fast editing of large files.
- Edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks.
- Use the Drawing tool to alter individual sample points.
- Fade the volume up or down smoothly with the Envelope tool.
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Remove static, hiss, hum, or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, FFT Filter, and Bass Boost effects.
- Adjust volumes with Compressor, Amplify, and Normalize effects.
- other Built-in Effects Include:
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Record at up to 96 kHz.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Mix tracks with different sample rates or formats, and Audacity will convert them automatically in realtime.
- Add new effects with LADSPA plug-ins.
- Audacity includes some sample plug-ins by Steve Harris.
- Load VST plug-ins for Windows and Mac, with the optional VST Enabler.
- Write new effects with the built-in Nyquist programming language.
- Spectrogram mode for visualizing frequencies.
- “Plot Spectrum” command for detailed frequency analysis.
Download alternate Audacity solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to Audacity software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Sound & Audio category.
History updates (Complete changelogs since the listing on this site)
exported is fixed.
-Fix corrupt files exported through FFmpeg when metadata included,
(metadata is now exported correctly in M4A files)
-Prevent saving a new Audacity Project over an existing one as this
could corrupt both projects.
-Improved help for files that cannot be imported because the relevant
optional library is missing.
-Allow effects which change the length of the audio they work on to also be
applied to selected label tracks, thus keeping them synchronized.
-Fixed inability in Nyquist plug-ins to add labels to an existing label track
-(Mac) Equalization window was corrupted after Preview
-(Linux 64-bit) Fixed crash Generating Click Track
-Fixed bug causing recording to stop short when the recording sample rate
is not supported by the sound device and libsamplerate is used for
-Fix crash when opening Preferences on a machine where there are no
available audio devices.
-Fixes for bugs using Timer Record and Sound Activated Recording
-Sizes of some dialogues adjusted to ensure they fit on the screen.
-Fix for supposedly "hidden" items appearing on screen with large
-Various keyboard shortcut and translation fixes.
-Several timing-dependent crashes and minor incorrect behaviours have been
-Windows installer now installs correctly over previous versions of Audacity
-(Windows) Better icon file with higher resolution and transparency
-New SoundFinder plug-in to label regions of audio between silences, so
allowing silences between tracks to be excluded when exporting multiple
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the Audacity 2.0.4 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 2.1.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 3.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full Audacity description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(13.8MB, Extension: INDOWS)