Pearpc Emulates The Following Hardware:
- CPU GENERIC: Sort of G4, including altivec. A more or less portable CPU. Using this CPU, the client will run about 500 times slower than the host. As of version 0.4 the generic CPU emulation runs well even on big-endian and 64 bit platforms.
- CPU JITC-X86: Sort of G4, including altivec. A very fast CPU for x86 systems that translates PowerPC instructions into x86 instructions on-demand. By caching these translations, a lot of speed is gained. Using this CPU, the client will run about 15 times slower than the host. Only works on x86 hosts.
- PCI-Brige: A barebone PCI-Bridge, enough to work with.
- IDE-Controller: Sort of CMD646 with bus-mastering support. You can attach IDE-harddisk(s) and/or IDE-CDROM(s) by specifying files (or devices for UN*X) from your host machine.
- PIC: A programmable interrupt controller (kind of Heathrow).
- VIA-Cuda: With attached Mouse and Keyboard.
- Network Controller: Emulates a 3COM 3C90x or RealTek 8139 via hosts that support an ethernet tunnel.
- NVRAM: Capable of storing 8KiB non-volatile memory.
- USB: A placebo USB-hub. Sufficient to make the client think that it has USB support.
- PROM: Sort of OpenFirmware. It`s ugly and contains a lot of hacks but it allows to boot Yaboot and BootX from HFS/HFS+ partitions.
Limits While the CPU emulation may be slow (1/500th or 1/15th, see above), the speed of emulated hardware is hardly impacted by the emulation; the emulated hard-drive and CDROM e.g. are very fast, especially with OS that support bus-mastering (Linux, Darwin, Mac OS X do). A lot of unimplementated features are fatal (i.e. will abort PearPC). Timings are very still a little bit inaccurate. Don`t rely on benchmarks made in the client. PearPC lacks a save/restore machine-state feature. No LBA48 (but LBA). Currently no support for hard disks greater than 128 GiB. Disks > 4GiB are not tested very well.
Download alternate PearPC solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to PearPC software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Operating System Utils category.
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the PearPC 0.5.1 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 0.6.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 1.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full PearPC description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(0.39MB, Extension: BZ2)