Memtest86 is a thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. BIOS based memory tests are a quick, cursory check and often miss many of the failures that are detected by Memtest86.
Memtest86 was developed by Chris Brady with a first release in 1994. However, the testing algorithms used have been under development since 1981 and have been previously implemented on Dec PDP-11, VAX-11/780 and Cray XMP architectures. Development and distribution of Memtest86 is now funded and supported by BradyTech Inc.
Memtest86 was developed by Chris Brady with the resources and assistance listed below.
* The initial versions of the source files bootsect.S, setup.S, head.S and build.c are from the Linux 1.2.1 kernel and have been heavily modified.
* Doug Sisk provided code to support a console connected via a serial port.
* Code to create BadRAM patterns was provided by Rick van Rein.
* Screen buffer code was provided by Jani Averbach.
* Eric Biederman provided all of the feature content for version 3.0 plus many bugfixes and significant code cleanup.
* Major enhancements to hardware detection and reporting in version 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 provided by Samuel Demeulemeester (from Memtest86+).
Download alternate Memtest86 solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to Memtest86 software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Operating System Utils category.
History updates (Complete changelogs since the listing on this site)
Other versions : 4.0 3.5
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the Memtest86 4.1.1 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 4.2.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 5.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full Memtest86 description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(0.51MB, Extension: ZIP)