Adium is a free instant messaging application for Mac OS X, released under the GNU GPL and developed by the Adium team. With Adium, you can connect to any number of messaging accounts on any combination of supported messaging services and then chat with other people using those services.
Supported services ¶
* AOL Instant Messenger (Including ICQ and .Mac)
* Jabber (Including Google Talk and LiveJournal)
* MSN Messenger
* Yahoo! Messenger (Including Yahoo! Japan)
* Bonjour (Compatible with iChat)
* MySpace IM
* Novell Groupwise
* Lotus Sametime
Notable Features ¶
* OTR Encryption
* Tabbed Messaging
* File Transfer
* Webkit Message Display
Download alternate Adium solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to Adium software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Real-Time Communications category.
History updates (Complete changelogs since the listing on this site)
- Fixed another problem with the transcript viewer causing search to fail when closing and reopening the window. (#13586, #15699)
- Fixed a problem with iTunes 10.6.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 causing the chat window's toolbar to break. (#16046)
- Fixed crash at startup that was meant to be fixed in 1.5.2. (#15787)
- Fixed a crash when receiving invalid XML on 10.8. (#16095)
- Fixed an issue that caused logging in to Facebook to fail when login approvals are enabled. (#15705)
- Icons set for group chat bookmarks will now show up on the tab bar in the chat window. (Andreas Marienborg) (#14484)
- Fixed tables not being declared as such via VoiceOver. (Marco Zehe) (#16085)
- Fixed a problem with emoticons scaling disproportionately in the yMous message style when using OS X 10.8.
- Improved memory use slightly.
Other versions : 1.5.1 1.5 1.4.4 1.4.3 1.4.2 1.4.1 1.4 1.3.10 1.3.9 1.3.8 1.3.7 1.3.6 1.3.5 1.3.4
- Adium is now securely signed with an Apple Developer ID for OS X 10.8 / GateKeeper compatibility.
- Updated to libpurple 2.10.4
- AIM/ICQ: Fixed communication with buddies containing periods and underscores.
- MSN: Fixed messages to offline contacts.
- MSN: Switched to MSN protocol version 18, therefore re-enabling Multiple Points of Presence support.
- Fixed a number of security issues (see http://pidgin.im/news/security/), small memory leaks, miscellaneous bugs.
- Fixed MSN public display names not being set. (Chenguang Li) (#15915)
- Adjusted the minimum size of the message window to be 200px. (#15794)
- Fixed status indicators in chat windows with only one chat. (#9620)
- Increased the size of the focus indicators so that they can be better seen when using overlay scrollbars.
- Fixed the transcript viewer not saving the user list size.
- Corrected some MSN emoticon shortcuts. (Paul Wilde) (#15926)
- Renamed "Send Notification" to "Request Attention". (#15789)
- Adjusted the layout of the profile selection window.
- Fixed alphabetical contact list sorting involving diacritics such as "å" and "ä" (Rafael Glauber) (#12678)
- Made "View Release Notes" localizable. (#15914)
- Requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.
- Requires an Intel Mac.
- Added 64-bit support.
- Updated to libpurple 2.10.0.
- Removed defunct QQ support.
- Fix double mail notifications on MSN. (#11199)
- Make disconnecting due to flooding on IRC less likely to occur. (#13920)
- Many user interface improvements, including updated look & feel for Mac OS X 10.7+
- Made it easier to choose how names imported from the Address Book are displayed. (#7394)
- Added support for Facebook in Address Book contact cards. (#13755)
- First entry in the list is now auto-selected.
- Toolbar items now behave properly when no request is selected.
- Rounded user icon in the chat window toolbar. (#3757)
- Fixed the contact list appearing in a wrong position at startup on Mac OS X Lion. (#15341, #15480)
- Improved the logic for the display of tooltips. (Matthew Plough) (#12774)
- Updated the menu for selecting your own picture to look natural on current versions of Mac OS X. (#11964)
- Added support for drag & drop of an image to your own picture to change it.
- Fixed positioning of selected icon in Recent Icons not being reapplied when icon is reselected. (#9908)
- Fixed the contact list shrinking when closing the search. (#14433)
- The contact list search now treats whitespace-separated words as keywords. (Paul Vet) (#14354)
- Added support for blocking/unblocking all contacts in a group. (Conor Branagan) (#2177)
- Added a "Deselect All" option to the "Edit" menu (based on a patch by Tyler Funnell). (#10208)
- Moved the dock badge to the top right to be consistent with other Mac OS X applications such as Mail. (#13439)
- Fixed dock badge text becoming too large. (#13088)
- Removed flashing of the contact name. (#14452)
- Made it easier to delete a fingerprint. (Aleksei Gorny) (#1654)
- The "Generate" button is now labelled "Regenerate" when a fingerprint already exists. (Tyler Funnell) (#1128)
- Disable Encryption → Initiate Encrypted OTR Chat menu item if encrypted chat is disabled from settings. (Tyler Funnell) (#7389)
- Added the ability to add timestamps to Growl notifications. (Stuart Connolly) (#9920)
- Added a "Do Nothing" event. (#3590)
- Added a "Message sent (Group chat)" event. (Will Bowling) (#12316)
- Added "Message received (Away)" and "Message received (Away Group Chat)" events. (Joshua Stein) (#13278)
- Added Regex support for mentions. (#12832)
- Various visual refinements. (Paul Wilde) (#14441)
- Removed the service icon from the top of the "Get Info" window's first pane (and from the contact list tooltip). (#14654)
- Fixed ghosting artifacts in Events tab. (#12237)
- Added support for in-line images, including custom emoticons, on supported protocols. (Peter Fung) (#15183)
- Use same menu in menu bar, context menu and toolbar.
- Fix bug when replacing tokens with empty strings.
- Make tokens un-localizable.
- Added a "Reopen Closed Tab" menu item to the File menu that will restore the most recently closed tab. (#12537)
- Clicking on a link whilst holding the Cmd key opens the link in the background. (Aaron Dodson) (#12129)
- Added Imgur as a supported image uploading service. (Shayne Sweeney) (#13186)
- Removed kl.am as a supported url shortener service. (Shawn Khan) (#14412)
- Fixed link insertion for NetNewsWire. (#11389)
- Added support for Google Chrome when inserting a link to the active webpage.
- New default message style: Smooth Operator.
- Fixed message history only showing in the first tab/window on startup under certain circumstances. (#15377)
- Fixed "Recent messages" still showing with logging. (#12577)
- Added the "lastFocus" class for message styles to the latest message received while the chat didn't have focus, and "regainedFocus" for the first message received while the chat has regained focus after having previously lost it.
- Made emoticons between packs more consistent. (#11450)
- Fixed the ":^)" emoticon being mistakenly interpreted the same as ":-". (#13924)
- Disabled elastic scroll of the text input, in Lion.
- Added the generic menu items to the group chat cog button for XMPP groupchats.
- Added ability to change which track information the "iTunes" status displays. (#6373)
- Added "Next"/"Previous" buttons for highlighted search terms within a transcript (similar to Safari).
- Greatly improved reliability and speed of log indexing and search.
- Fixed a bug when writing inline images to chat logs. (Peter Fung) (#15186)
- Added ability to resize animated gifs that are too large. (#9885)
- Image wells for changing user picture support drag & drop and will also open the Image Picker to edit the image if it's too large or not close to being square.
- Fixed some bad user interface behaviour in the "Customise..." sheet for dock icon in the "Appearance" pane. (#15158)
- Improved wording and alignment in the "Status" pane. (ctbeiser) (#15370)
- Added a preference for AIM's "Allow Multiple Sign-In Locations" setting, which defaults to yes. (Josh Perry) (#5790)
- Fixed crash when sending certain group chat requests. (#15674)
- Restored connectivity by removing the hard-coded server name, as the server has an SRV record to allow dynamic configuration.
- Messages longer than 140 characters are now allowed. (brion) (#13485)
- For retweets, show the full original tweet instead of the truncated retweet. (#15226)
- Added support for supported characters in Jabber IDs. (Marc Kalmes) (#13099)
- Added version numbers for Xtras to Xtras Manager. (Ariel Chinn) (#11285)
- Fixed case in the path for the iChat emoticons. (#14936)
- Group chat userlists and the status icons selection menu in the appearances preferences now use the tab version of status icons. (#13838)
- Fixed Xtras not displaying after Xtras Manager did load.
- VoiceOver no longer says "empty" before each item in the contact list. (#12916 and #9004)
- The contact window's toolbar items now have appropriate labels. (#13010)
- New "About Adium" dialog. (Thanks to Mike Houben & Paul Wilde for graphics)
- Added Aqualicious Graphite, new contact list theme to match OS X Graphite style.
- Updated Growl.framework to 1.3.1.
- Updated OAuthCustomer to latest (1/29/2012).
- Updated Fribidi to version 2 (0.19.x)
- Updated JSONKit to latest (1/29/2012).
- Fixed numerous leaks.
- The Downloads stack in the Dock will now bounce when Adium finishes receiving a file.
- Quarantine received files after downloading, so the Finder will show a warning before opening received applications (similar to Safari).
- Removed "Page Setup..." from the "File" menu. (#15367)
- Added the "On Accounts" table to the nextKeyView in the 'Add Contact' window. (#14269)
- Removed import from Fire. (#15366)
- More of that 'new car' smell.
- Updated Adium Help documentation to look native on OS X Lion. (Paul Wilde) (#15357)
- Added a menu item to view release notes in the help menu. (#8569)
- Fixed some issues with AppleScript. (Peter Schmitt) (#15234)
- Converted most AppleScripts from .scpt to .applescript files. (dak180) (#13940)
- Fixed AdiumAppleScriptRunner to enable building on Lion.
- Miscellaneous improvements to Copyright.txt file.
- Rewrote the libpurple eventloop to use libdispatch. (#13932)
- Debug logging: All GLib's errors and messages, and all exceptions are now logged to the Debug Window.
- Updated translations: Catalan (#15770), Chinese (Traditional), Czech (#15677), Danish (#15703), Dutch (#15697), Australian English (#15700), French (#15734), German (#15586, #15733), Greek, Italian (#15810, #15808), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15721), Slovenian (#15772), Swedish (#15726).
- Fixed localisation of a couple of emoticons.
- Facebook: Fixed connectivity. (#15544, #15583)
- Yahoo: Fixed avatars of contacts not updating correctly.
- Gadu-Gadu: Fixed logging in on PPC Macs. (#15153)
- Renamed the "Show Info" toolbar item to "Get Info" for consistency. (Ariel Chinn) (#14072)
- Turned off rubber band scrolling for the contact list, as this looks bad when using a borderless window. (#15455)
- Fixed a crash when installing an Xtra from the website. (#15581)
- Updated German localisation. (#15477, #15658)
- Fixed two small mistakes in the Brazilian Portuguese localisation. (#15511).
- Fixed a security vulnerability related to file transfers.
- Fixed a crash when remote users have certain characters in their nicknames. (Discovered by Djego Ibanez) ( #p14341)
- MSN: Fixed direct file transfers, user icons, and receiving custom emoticons, while disabling multiple points of presence (MPOP). We determined that this was the better trade-off based on user feedback. (reverted to libpurple's MSNP15 support from MSNP16) (#15256)
- MSN: Fixed an issue involving the "Friendly name changes too often" error. (#15364)
- GoogleTalk: Worked around an issue where messages contained XML code. (#15419)
- Fixed connectivity.
- Facebook will now connect via the officially-sanctioned mechanism. You no longer have to provide Adium with your username and password; you will be prompted to authenticate via a facebook.com window when you first log in. Existing accounts are automatically upgraded.
- AIM/ICQ: Fixed connecting while using a proxy server.
- Twitter: Fixed loading the Following list. (#15239)
- Fixed a fairly common crash related to user lists. (#14294)
- Activated overlay scrollers on Mac OS X Lion. (#15394)
- Fixed an issue where Adium was constantly writing with the computer screen off for a long time. (#15147)
- Fixed the "Add Link" function, which was broken in 1.4.2. (#15259)
- Fixed instances where contacts weren't being highlighted despite having been set to. (#14493).
- Message View: Inserted emoticon will replace the selected text (if any).
- Updated localisations: British English, Chinese (Traditional), Danish (#15431), Dutch (#15421), French (#15402), German (#15374), Greek (#15330), Italian (#15395), Norwegian (Bokmål) (#15365), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15371), Swedish (#15384).
- Fixed a case of unfavourable wording in the German localisation. (#15393)
Updated to libpurple 2.7.11. Highlights of applicable changes:
- Fixed bug that prevented adding contacts to your contact list in certain circumstances. (#14965)
- Added support for MSNP16 including multiple points of presence (MPOP) which allows multiple simultaneous sign-ins and which should resolve connection problems involving the "Signed in from another location" error. (#13654)
- Fixed crash related to Direct Connections. (#14650)
- Fixed a bug where some contacts from your contact list might not show up. Affected non-English users the most. (#14901)
- Fixed tooltips not being updated when scrollwheeling through the contact list. (#3480)
- Improved readability of tooltips by making their contents opaque and only the background transparent. (#15050)
- Added a "Log only certain accounts" setting to Adium's "General" preferences. (#8, #14522)
- Added a "Log secure chats" setting to Adium's "General" preferences. (#94)
- Renamed "Save opened chats when quitting" setting to "Reopen chats from last time on startup" for clarity. (#14651)
- Only display focus indication for group chats. (#14420)
- Enable %service% keyword in header.
- Fixed issue where sections of conversations loaded from message history are repeated. (#13362)
- Fixed iChat emoticons in Snow Leopard on case-sensitive file systems. (#14936)
- Disabled consecutivization of actions to prevent overlapping icons. Fixed erroneous application of a grey dotted top border to a consecutive, unfocused action that follows a non-action. Fixed text wrap alignment issues on actions.
- New mention and focus indicators, and improved scaling at large font sizes. (#14420)
- No longer scrolls to bottom on new content regardless of scroll position. (#14331)
- Smooth Operator
- Compact: Mentions in actions are no longer italicized. Sendercolor Adiumy is not displayed in IRC too. Fixed progressively increasing saturation of the sendercolor Adiumy on each consecutive message.
- Classic: Fixed slight misalignment between sender and message. Lightened the on-click shadow. The per-message marks in the classic variant now grow to the left rather than to the right where it can overlap message text.
- Dark: New variant!
- Reverted to pre-1.4 layout for per-message timestamps (#14361). Per-message timestamps now display on the left when the message text is RTL (#10403).
- Fixed ICQ disconnections going unnoticed. (#14229)
- Fixed hang caused by reading badly formatted transcripts from ICQ. (#14627)
- Switch to clientLogin authentication for ICQ and AIM, allowing SSL to be used if possible again. Change the options for encryption to "Require"/"Opportunistic"/"Disabled." (#15000)
- Use the clientLogin key of the official ICQ Mac client instead of the AIM key we had which got banned. (#15244)
- Fixed a crash related to invalid UTF8 in nicknames on IRC. (#13351)
- Fixed a crash that occurred when opening irc://-links to new servers on ports other than 6667. (#15093)
- Added a preference to enable/disable MSN Direct Connections. (#14602)
- Double confirmation is now required to delete and unregister an XMPP account. (#14357)
- Fixed xmpp:-urls without a user part opening chats with (null)@... (#14908).
- Growl notifications for Group Chats now show the channel on the same line as the nick, instead of before the message. (#14890)
- Fixed a bug causing a switching of user profiles following Adium updates. (#14432)
- Fixed 1.4.1 regression of arrows not showing up in the Events tables of the Preference pane and the Get Info pane for active events. (#14629)
- Fixed a hang that occurred when required parts of loaded message styles were missing. (#7438)
- Fixed bookmark icons not updating when changing icon sets. (#13221)
- Fixed two memory leaks. (Adrian Godoroja) (#15047)
- Fixed "Remove Link" showing up twice in the input box's context menu on 10.6. (Shawn Khan) (#14454)
- Fixed 1.4 regression where selection of the active voice in the "Speak Event" and "Speak Text" contact alert actions failed. (#14574)
- Fixed positioning of selected icon in Recent Icons not being reapplied when icon is reselected. (Adrian Godoroja) (#9908)
- Fixed an issue with adding URLs via copy/paste resulting in an invalid link. (#15229)
- Updated the Localizable.strings files, adding missing translatable strings/nibs. (#14588, #14582)
- Updated and improved localisations: British English (#15116), Catalan (#15231), Danish (#15160), Dutch (#15202), Finnish (#15211), French (#15198), German (#15204), Italian (#15224), Polish (#15230), Portuguese (Portugal) (#15223), Russian (#15246), Swedish (#15217).
- Fixed an issue in the Czech localisation. (#14586)
Updated to libpurple 2.7.5. Highlights of applicable changes:
- Support for MSN direct connections, enabling faster file transfers and faster retrieval of custom emoticons and buddy icons
- AIM and ICQ
- A bunch of fixes for ICQ encoding problems
- Corrected hostnames (server settings) for ICQ connections; existing accounts will be upgraded automatically
- Improved ICQ privacy lists (visible / invisible lists) support
- Fixed handling of certain incoming HTML messages
- Fixed sending messages to AIM chat rooms
- Fixed sending SMS messages
- Some file transfer improvements
- Improved connectivity to servers that do not offer Stream ID
- Fixed detected file transfer proxies
- Improved determination of a contact's destination resource
- Fixed a crash when using UPnP networking
- Added handling of irc:// URIs by creating guest accounts if required. (#12339)
- Fixed respecting and setting port number for IRC links. (#13899)
- Added support for /say command. (#13649)
- Add the "@" sign for Twitter's tabcomplete. (#13987) (Moses Lei)
- Deleting a Twitter group will now hide the contacts within Adium rather than unfollowing them (#12148)
- Fixed overlapping buttons in "Reply to a Tweet" dialogue. (#14017)
- Distinguish StatusNet accounts with same username on different servers. (#13604) (Brion Vibber)
- Fixed message style "Mockie" being broken on some systems. (#14480)
- Fixed a hang caused by large contact lists. (#14463)
- Fixed contact status background colors updating in the contact list, including both static and flashing statuses. (#14534, #14493)
- Fixed a long-standing bug preventing a minimum text size preferences smaller than 9pt to take effect. (#49) (Tim Horton)
- PSD files and PDFs are now sent as files, not as 'images', where appliable.
- Fixed alignment and clipping issues in the "About" box. (#13541)
- Fixed minor issues in Adium Help documentation.
Mercurial Revision: b84454d2b44f
- Disabled the Facebook CAPTCHA, updated the Facebook plugin.
- Updated libjson-glib, fixing some 64-bit issues.
Mercurial Revision: b84454d2b44f
- Disabled the Facebook CAPTCHA, updated the Facebook plugin.
- Updated libjson-glib, fixing some 64-bit issues.
Mercurial Revision: dc7b2aa2a2de
- Updated libpurple to fix a security issue with custom emoticons.
- Corrected user icons not updating correctly on Snow Leopard.
Mercurial Revision: 2e287469fe16
- Updated pidgin-facebook chat, fixing login.
- Corrected the Events preferences not displaying the correct list on Snow Leopard.
Mercurial Revision: a76981b42330
- Updated libpurple
- Fix a crash when some clients send contacts in a format we don't understand on ICQ.
- Fix blocking and other privacy lists on AIM/ICQ.
- Fixed CAPTCHA not working properly on Facebook.
- Fixed iChat emoticons on Snow Leopard.
Mercurial Revision: feaca9408bef
- Updated to libpurple 2.5.9
- Fix a crash via a specially crafted MSN message (CVE-2009-2694).
- Fix a crash in Bonjour, MSN, and XMPP when trying to transfer files with NULL names.
- Numerous fixes from libpurple 2.5.8
- Updated to pidgin-facebookchat 1.6.0 from 1.5.1
- Fixed issues with dropped & missed messages
- Fixed retrieval of profile information
- Fixed retrieval of buddy icons
- Fixed messaging with Facebook users whose user IDs are very large
- Numerous other fixes; see pidgin-facebookchat changelog for details
- Note: Facebook contact group support is currently disabled
- Added option to control Facebook mail checking
- Merged down the space dust
Mercurial Revision: 708bedafdc3a Fix connection issues with Facebook, Yahoo and MSN.
Mercurial Revision: 8d7ab9d0f614 Facebook fixes Updated to pidgin-facebook 1.5.0, fixing a major bug in which massive amounts of data could be continuously sent and received under certain situations as well as several minor bugs Fixed a bug in which the Facebook numeric ID rather than name could be shown in the contact list (#11676) Improved proxy support. Fixed a crash when loading Jabber/XMPP account preferences when the computer's host name is not set (#11246) Fixed a display issue in message windows when running Safari 4. Updated to libpurple 2.5.6
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the Adium 1.5.4 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 1.6.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 2.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full Adium description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(19.43MB, Extension: 8)