Some Of The Most Notable Features Of Dovecot Include:
- Dovecot is among the highest performing IMAP servers while still supporting the standard mbox and Maildir formats. The mailboxes are transparently indexed, which gives Dovecot its good performance while still providing full compatibility with existing mailbox handling tools.
- Dovecot is standards compliant. Dovecot v1.1 passes all IMAP server standard compliancy tests while most other servers fail many of them.
- Dovecot`s indexes are self-optimizing. They contain exactly what the user`s client commonly needs, no more and no less.
- Dovecot is self-healing. It tries to fix most of the problems it notices by itself, such as broken index files. The problems are however logged so the administrator can later try to figure out what caused them.
- Dovecot tries to be admin-friendly. Common error messages are made as easily understandable as possible. Any crash, no matter how it happened, is considered a bug that will be fixed.
- Dovecot allows mailboxes and their indexes to be modified by multiple computers at the same time, while still performing well. This means that Dovecot works well with clustered filesystems. NFS has caching problems, but you can work around them with director proxies.
- Dovecot`s user authentication is extremely flexible and feature rich, supporting many different authentication databases and mechanisms.
- Postfix 2.3+ and Exim 4.64+ users can do SMTP authentication directly against Dovecot`s authentication backend without having to configure it separately.
- Dovecot supports easy migration from many existing IMAP and POP3 servers, allowing the change to be transparent to existing users.
- Dovecot supports workarounds for several bugs in IMAP and POP3 clients. Since the workarounds may cause the protocol exchange to be slightly less optimal, you can enable only the workarounds you need.
- Dovecot`s design and implementation is highly focused on security. Rather than taking the traditional road of just fixing vulnerabilities whenever someone happens to report them, I offer 1000 EUR of my own money to the first person to find a security hole from Dovecot.
- Dovecot is easily extensible. Plugins can add new commands, modify existing behavior, add their own data into index files or even add support for new mailbox formats. For example quota and ACL support are completely implemented as plugins.
Download alternate Dovecot solution
Look at the free or trial alternatives and similar apps to Dovecot software by the tags. It's possible also to find substitutes for the most popular titles in the Net Servers Services category.
History updates (Complete changelogs since the listing on this site)
Other versions : 2.0.20 2.0.18 2.0.16
+ doveadm user: Added -m parameter to show some of the mail settings. - doveadm import didn't import messages' flags - Make sure IMAP clients can't create directories when accessing nonexistent users' mailboxes via shared namespace. - Dovecot auth clients authenticating via TCP socket could have failed with bogus "PID already in use" errors.
+ DIGEST-MD5 authentication supports authorization id now. Patch by Yubao Liu + Added instance_name setting which is used to prefix Dovecot processes in ps output. - LDA/LMTP: Sending a large mail via submission_host or via LMTP proxy may have caused a hang. - Fixed dbox + mail_attachment_dir + zlib problems. - Login processes weren't logging all intended messages with auth_verbose=yes - IMAP: THREAD REFS sometimes returned invalid (0) nodes. - IMAP: CONTEXT search return option wasn't handled at all. - dbox: Various error handling fixes. - snarf plugin: Keep the mailbox locked during snarfing to avoid duplicates.
Predicted future versions and notices:
The doDownload.com constantly monitors the update of all programs, including information from the Dovecot 2.0.22 changelog file, however sometimes it can happen that data are not complete or are outdated.We assume that author continue's to develop 2.1.0 version with further advanced features, and soon you will be informed. Equally important 3.0.0 upgrades of the program we will continue to monitor. Full Dovecot description has been compared with the overall software database and our algorithm has found the following applications (are showed below).
(3.2MB, Extension: GZ)